Saturday, March 26, 2011

Stockholm Clean and Bright



Needless to say, Stockholm is very cold. Around 35 degrees Fahrenheit during the day. I came prepared, however, and am making the most of the brilliant sunshine that has blessed my first full day in Sweden. Despite being definitely off-season, there are plenty of European tourists in the city, clogging the streets of the old town (Gamla Stan) and filling the blessedly smoke-free cafes. The most interesting sight so far has been a runner dressed in a bright red body suit that completely covered his head, with only eye holes cut-out!

Though Stockholm feels very European, so far I have found the coffee (my true love) to be quite awful (which is disappointing considering a cappuccino costs $5 or more). On the other hand, the desserts and pastries are to die for. Given that Swedish cuisine is mostly meat and potatoes, I could end up surviving on just desserts alone.

I was looking for things uniquely Swedish, so I went straight for the Nobel Museum. As you can guess, it is all about the Nobel Prizes, something about which I previously knew little. In a nutshell, they were established by the will and testament of Alfred Nobel, a Swedish engineer and chemist who most notably invented dynamite, and were first awarded in 1901.

My guidebook also mentioned a planned ABBA Museum, but I have yet to find it – I thought that when in Sweden, one should pay homage to its most successful export! Instead I visited the Medieval Museum of Stockholm which is housed in some excavated medieval ruins under the city. It contains incredible detail about medieval life, which just made me appreciate our modern life so much more!

Tonight I meet up with my group and guide and tomorrow I fly to Kiruna in the north. I will not post again until I get back on Sunday April 3rd since I am not taking my computer (there isn’t internet access anyway).

No comments: