Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Catstanbul... formerly Catstantinople... A guest blog from Helena TCOCL* in the making.





Ada cafe cat - a rascally thing that loves cuddles
During my last trip to Turkey back one freezing week in November 2008, I discovered two things of note: 1) this fabulous neighborhood of Cihangir in a corner of Beyoglu perched above the Bosphorus and 2) the myriad cats that lounge, decorate, entertain and pervade this corner of the magic ancient city. The chic low-key but super hip neighborhood coupled with the cats and the piles of cat biscuits that cat-loving istanbullus serve up in doorways, street corners and convenient nooks for their feline friends made a huge impression on me then. Now I am back enjoying it in the glory of late summer breezes, amazing food, the civilized blend of a east-west amenities and general yummy exoticness.
{Some may know that the past 6 months has seen me riding out the interminable, unbearable noise, heat, smells and chaos of Delhi - so Cihangir and its cats provide healing balm to my battered senses.}

If you are a cat hater then read no further.
Greeter of tourists
Chora church museum resident will jump on you given half the opportunity - cuddly!



Not only are there many cats but it turns out that they all want to know me, I am assailed by purred greetings, miaos, raised tails in salute when they see me coming REGARDLESS if I am holding anything edible. This is a source of extreme gratification to a TCOCL*.This especially after months of enduring streets full of battered wild dogs and cats that are unloved, run-over, kicked and generally badly treated in India. 
Cats enhance the tourist experience


I am daily surprised by seeing the most unlikely men stoop down to pat a cat, invite one onto his lap at a cafe or call out to one in the street. I'm not talking about sensitive intellectual types but all kinds from the crusty old fisherman to the mustachioed tough-guy.



Cat lodging on Buyuk Ada Island
Island cat
Island cat
Island cat

Chora Church resident
Young member of the Chora church cat community
















Metro cat at Aksaray









Cats are everywhere - except the mosque. Cats in the museums, cafes, shops, restaurants, parks, hanging around the waterfront,  

and of course in the bazaar.
Luxurious lingerie store cat

Not only are cats everywhere but also the cat theme is prevalent in shops and art around the city.

Cat art

The Red Cat bookstore


While I am not quite sure that the cat theme is exactly top-of-mind in the Istanbullus psyche, it nevertheless warms my heart to experience a city and its people so obviously loving towards these animals.

* TCOCL: That Crazy Old Cat Lady
yes.. I know... why fight it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just told Kiki and George that their Mom is coming back smelling like fresh cat! I'm guessing there's not a big rat problem there!! Travel safe...you guys look like you're having fun!!!

Mom said...

Now I know where I got my love of cats (writing this with Charlie taking up most of my lap and he would love to drape himself over my arms if I would let him).