Saturday, February 28, 2009

Crisis Continued


Well, actually it is a new crisis (I finally got cash). Stomach sickness! It’s so ironic that I traveled Vietnam for 6 weeks, eating all the street food and never got the tiniest bit sick. On the first day in Laos, having eaten in restaurants frequented by foreigners (so I could use my credit card), I pick up a nasty stomach bug! Since it was my only day to see Vientiane (I had occupied myself yesterday with trying to get cash and hadn’t seen much), I forced myself to see a couple sights despite feeing weak and lethargic.

Vientiane is quite different than the other capitols of Southeast Asia. The traffic is light, and cars stop for you to cross the road. There isn’t much trash lying about. In some parts of town, the foreigners outnumber the locals. And even though when walking the tuk-tuk drivers will ask you “tuk-tuk?” without fail, they smile if you say no, and let you on your way. The street and shop vendors don’t call out to you. (In Vietnam, vendors would whine “Madame, you buy something from me?!”) I must have said “No, thank you” thousands of times during my trip.

If I can survive the heat, the jungle trek to the wild elephant tower should be fun. Somehow I managed to lose my Jungle Juice - 100% DEET, my hat and my headlamp during my time in Sapa, all critical for trekking here. I will do a full report when I get back.

No comments: