Monday, November 22, 2010

Boxfish and Snake-Eels


Today we set off for Muri, on the opposite side of the island, to experience a difference in location for snorkeling (we had just been exploring the reef outside our door so far). While it was sunny and brilliant at our place, we found first clouds, then pouring rain on the other side. After being held hostage in a shop, we thought it was starting to clear and made a run for it on the scooter, only to be caught in a full on downpour for 20 kms. We were soaked through and through. Poor Helena was in front, taking the brunt of the wet, steering like a champion on the slippery 2 lane road. Back on the west side, the rain soon gave way and we again hit the local reef with our reef fish identification card to spot more exotic fish. In addition to the standard Bullethead Parrotfish, Threadfin Butterflyfish, Convict Surgeonfish and Picasso Triggerfish, today Helena and I saw a Spotted Snake-Eel! It's a freaky 100cm eel that moves across the ocean floor like a snake. We also saw a Snowflake Moray Eel - it snuck up on me while Helena tried to get my attention and I nearly jumped out of the water when I saw it (even though they don't bite, they are just ugly!) We've also seen Yellow Boxfish, so called because they are actually square.

I have not yet seen one person surfing here. The waves break on shallow reef, and it seems so treacherous, I can't bring myself to try it without someone showing me how. I don't mind - I like exploring the other side of the reef!

1 comment:

MeeshWoo said...

I love boxfish. I think they're so cute! Maybe Max will be a boxfish for Halloween next year!