Saturday, November 27, 2010

Kia Orana

Kia Orana is the standard greeting here in the Cook Islands, and it means literally "May you live long!" My wish may be to just to live long on this island. Helena and I were both completely taken with Rarotonga, its relaxed pace and its friendly, outgoing people. All Cook Islanders can be traced back to 6 tribal chiefs who came here around 400 AD, and a sense of family and community pervades to this day. In contrast with so many other places I have traveled, one doesn't see see neglected people or animals, or families living in abject poverty. It seems that families take care of each other (of course, the contributions of the New Zealand government helps with things too).

On Thursday, I took a day trip to another island in the Cooks called Aitutaki, and sampled the fine snorkeling over there. It was a 40 minute prop plane ride, and an easy day trip, although the island is worth spending more time. Next time....

Out snorkeling I saw heaps of giant clams and all kinds of other tropical fish is crystal clear water about white sand punctuated by large coral towers. Lunch was prepared by a local couple beachside for our group, with many local dishes (such as banana and papaya salad with curry dressing) to accompany the grilled parrotfish.

Other than my daytrip to Aitutaki, Helena and I spent our days snorkeling and swimming, exploring the island (even visiting the Prison Craftshop!), and watching the Vaka Eiva (outrigger competition). We also went on a hunt for the best coconut oil to bring home. It seemed to be something we just couldn't get enough of!

Helena went home last night, and I head home to tonight, with much sadness. Our 2 weeks in paradise were over so quickly!

I will post more photos when I get home to my computer, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Was so excited to find your blog. I am going to read about your adventures now.