Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ice

We awoke to more rain. Quelle surprise! And 30 mph winds.  Unfortunately, this meant our glacier walk was canceled, but we still took a boat ride in the glacial lagoon for Vatnajokull, the largest glacier in Europe. The water was so choppy and the wind so strong we ended up drenched and I got no photos since I dared not take out my camera. After another brisk picnic lunch, we took a hike around another glacial tongue of Vatnajokull, this one where both Game of Thrones and Batman Begins were filmed. We drove to the foot of the tongue after, and I was able to get some nice photos. 
The drive on the town of Vik took us through the largest lava field in Iceland: black lava lumps covered by green moss ... It's like another world. Tomorrow we are back to Reykjavik where we expect... More rain of course. 
I think I am beginning to believe in elves myself ...


No comments: