Monday, December 29, 2008

Ancient Siam

The last couple days have been exhausting. Yesterday I took on the largest market in Southeast Asia - Chatuchak - renowned for having 15,000 stalls and drawing up to 200,000 shoppers every day (it's only open on the weekends). I didn't buy much, but roamed the place for a few hours and made notes about what I would come back and get before I go home. Everything from second had jeans to massive Buddha statues to puppy dogs can be bought. Luckily, one of the stalls was a foot massage place, and I cooled my heels so to speak for a much needed break. As much as the Burmese love tea and have tea shops everywhere, Thais love coffee. So much for kicking my coffee habit!

Today was a visit to the Ancient City - a kind of outdoor museum of architecture and history of Thailand. I rode a bike around in the sun for 3 hours, learning all kinds of things, like the origin of the Chinese influence in Thai architecture, and the incorporation of Hindu deities in Thai religious beliefs. Again there were many references to sacking of Ayuthaya by the Burmese in 1769. Ouch. While most structures and monuments were replicas, there were a few original structures including the wooden monastery in the photo, which came from Northern Thailand near the Burmese border, and the influences were apparent and familiar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, gorgeous temple! I've never seen such a dark one like that before.

Helena said...

you look about 19 in this picture! I think I need one of those cameras....