Sunday, March 15, 2009

Food Court

I have landed in Chiang Rai in Northern Thailand. So many people have been to Thailand, I won’t spend much time describing it to you here.

One thing I missed in the other countries was the Thai food court, seemingly unique to this Asian country. For the uninitiated, a food court is a collection of food stalls (like the street kitchens in Vietnam) around a central seating area, where the food is cheap and delicious (about $1 for a meal). The large fashionable malls throughout Bangkok have them too (much sleeker and with fancy pre-pay cards to ease purchase), and they are one of the best eating options in town.

I think everyone has seen bad English translations of Asian languages, but the following menu from the night bazaar food court in Chiang Rai tops them all:

The Moustache is Tiny Squid Roast - 10 Baht
The Demon Moustache Squid Roasts – 20 Baht
The Ark Shell Scalds/Burns – 40-50 Baht
The Meatball Fries, Every the Wood – 10 Baht

Say what???

The other thing I can wholly appreciate back in Thailand is the 2 hour Thai massage for only $6 (the going rate in Chiang Rai). I think I could have one every day….. And that is what I may be doing since I am trekked-out and templed-out at this point (the 2 main attractions in Northern Thailand).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heck, I'd wake up and get a massage, have one after lunch and just before bedtime!!! Did you get to sample the Wooden Money Fist? ;-)