Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Paradise


Railay Beach West, where I stay now, is perhaps the nicest beach in Thailand. The folks at Lonely Planet think so anyway. It is on a rugged peninsula of limestone karsts, and the little sliver of pristine beach where my resort is located is accessible only by boat.
I arrived late in the evening and from the Krabi airport I was whisked by minivan to a waiting speed boat. There being no marina, I had to wade to in the water on both sides and I couldn’t believe how warm it was – probably 90 degrees, hardly refreshing. For the first time in weeks I could see stars. In the evening the restaurants lining the beach are lit with many tiny yellow lights, and pulling in there amid the darkness of the rest of the peninsula was utterly charming and romantic.
Unfortunately it is even hotter here than in Chiang Mai, and I have just accepted that I will be sweating constantly. This has been broken up my tropical thunder and rain, but it hardly made a dent in the heat.

No comments: