Monday, March 23, 2009

A Week in Chiang Mai


When I left you last, I was enjoying the tropical thunder of an evening storm in Northern Thailand. The week in Chiang Mai proved to be an uneventful one. I spent 2 days in cooking classes, took 4 yoga classes, went to the pool twice and had a massage every day. I went to a handful of the 100 or so exquisite wats (temples) in the city limits (outnumbered only by massage places and ATMs). Of course there was a fair amount of eating too. I took advantage of the many vegetarian restaurants to renew myself, stocking up on organic yogurt, wheatgrass, fresh juices and smoothies as well as outstanding Thai food. I feel like I missed many things available in and around Chiang Mai, but in all honesty, it was too bloody hot during the day to do much of anything; the heat caused all interest in exploring to evaporate. However, I am resolved to come back in the cooler months and see more. This is an easy place to imagine coming back to.

Perhaps now is the time to mention that I have managed to put away 24 books on this trip, including many of the classics that I missed in school. I have become a particular fan of Charles Dickens, having read David Copperfield, Great Expectations and Oliver Twist in the last couple months. Isn’t that the beauty of traveling – having time to read and hotel rooms without cable TV? I must confess that Jane Eyre (by Charlotte Bronte), consumed me for several days in Chiang Mai, which is the real reason I didn’t post to my blog very often, sorry!

Next stop: Railay Beach in Krabi province for some snorkeling, kayaking, swimming and rock climbing before heading to Bangkok and then home. I’ll be back in Encinitas on Monday, March 30. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

No comments: