Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Refuge


Today, Wendy and I find ourselves on Kodiak Island, an island which is mostly taken up by the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge. We arrived late this afternoon, in time to see the impressive Refuge Visitor Center, and take in downtown Kodiak – a small fishing village that was mostly destroyed in the 1964 Good Friday Earthquake and Tsunami (magnitude of 9.2). It reminds me of a small New Zealand town; it has the same frontier feel. We see few other tourists, or residents for that matter, although our hotel, the “Russian Heritage Inn” is fully booked. Not a lot of tourists make it to Kodiak, which I appreciate. I am here to see bears and do some kayaking, where hopefully I will see whales as well.

Our night and morning in Anchorage were well spent, eating at one of the many outstanding restaurants (the best selection in Alaska), and seeing the renovated Anchorage Museum, open only 10 days. It seemed as though Anchorage had a lot more to offer, and I vow to return soon.

No comments: