Thursday, June 4, 2009

Searching for Sarah Palin


Yes, I am off to Alaska today, to the home state of Sarah Palin (remember her?). Maybe I will learn something about foreign policy.... after all, I will be very close to Russia while I am there!

I am meeting my friend Wendy in Seattle and we are flying to Anchorage tonight, then taking a shuttle to Denali National Park tomorrow, where we will be outfitted in a rustic cabin, amid 40 degree days and even colder nights.

After Denali we will fly to Kodiak Island in search of Kodiak bears and killer whales. I have been interested in Kodiak ever since I was a kid, hearing my grandpa talk of his time working in Alaska, and being chased by a Kodiak bear. I recently came across a photo of my grandpa from that time - I think it was the late 1940's. I can't ask him about it though; he passed away in 2000 at the ripe old age of 92. I think my grandpa would have appreciated my recent adventures - he had a wanderlust that took him back and forth across the country many times, up to Alaska and to the Philippines, among other places.

So, Grandpa, this one's for you!

1 comment:

mishwoo said...

Awesome photo! Have fun!