Friday, October 30, 2009

Back in La Paz


Friday October 30 finds me back in La Paz, preparing for a three day weekend down in Yolosa, which is in the subtropical area northeast of La Paz (elevation: about 3,000 feet). Here is where they grow the famous coca leaves, and the best coffee in Bolivia. Guess which one I will be sampling....

To get to Yolosa I will be taking the "World's Most Dangerous Road". No kidding. Since earning this moniker, a bypass has been constructed so the road is no longer used for motor traffic, but is still used by adventure companies to take people on mountain bikes for a 9,000 foot downhill ride. In some places the road is only 9 feet wide, which will test my fear of heights! I will be leaving my computer in La Paz, so full report only when I get back.

In great contrast to my first few days in La Paz, today was sunny and warm and breezy, making a great day for the obligatory protests of one sort or another that are a daily occurrence in the city. I met with my travel agent, then did as the Pacenas do and headed for a salteneria for a mid-morning snack of saltenas de pollo (saltenas are like Mexican empanadas). It seems that everyone is on the streets, excited for this 3 day weekend which includes Halloween, but more importantly, November 1 - the Day of the Dead, a significant holiday in Latin America.

No comments: