Thursday, October 29, 2009

Isla del Sol

Isla del Sol (Sun Island) was a sacred place from around 500 AD, when the people of Tiwanaku built religious shrines here. One thousand years later, the Incas built their own shrines and proclaimed Sun Island the birthplace of the Sun, the Moon and the Inca dynasty.

It feels like the top of the world. Barren, bright and dry. This morning we took a boat to the far side of the island to see the remaining Inca ruins, which are not much, then hiked the 500 year old Inca trail along the spine of the island (starting above 12,000 feet, and dipping below and above over the next 3 hours). Although we started early, the sun, the altitude, and the previous day’s epic journey took their toll on me, and I practically crawled back to the hotel, where I crashed and slept for 3 hours. I nursed cup after cup of coca tea (non-narcotic) to revive me, but I was worthless for the rest of the day.

The eco-lodge where I stayed was situated on the east side of the island, facing the Peruvian side of the lake, and the highest peak in the Peruvian Andes, Illampu (over 18,000 feet). The views were stunning, especially as the sun set over the other side of Sun Island, and the peak was lit up in pinks and yellows.

Thursday the 29th takes me back to La Paz… (where I am finally able to post).

No comments: