Saturday, October 24, 2009

Headaches, Hills and Rain


Day 3 in La Paz and I am still getting altitude headaches. Or it could be massive sinus blockage brought on by an overdose of pollution. It seems as thought cars have no emissions controls, and the valley keeps the fumes close in. It was a relief to drive out to the site of Tiwanaku, ruins of an ancient city that pre-dates the Inca Empire. The ruins date from 1000 B.C. , and not much is left due to the effects of time, weather, and looting. The predominant theory is that rapid climate change brought about its demise in a matter of 50 years, after nearly 1500 years as the most powerful kingdom in the Andes. It certainly makes one think about the current climate crisis…

My second day was spent on a city tour of La Paz, accompanied by a few torrential downpours and hail. I guess the rainy season officially started September 21, so I will be lucky to have much sun. And although it is spring here, it is about as cold as our San Diego winters – even colder at night when it dips to close to freezing. Luckily, my city tour included a car and driver, which was much appreciated as the weather turned bad, and when I realized the extent of the hills of La Paz. My sea-level lungs are not yet ready for them.

No comments: