Sunday, November 29, 2009

Coming Home


Sitting at the Quito Airport, waiting for my Continental Airlines flight to Houston, I think I have never been so excited to come home. Even at the end of my Asia journey, despite the heat and time and distance, there was a little sadness in leaving. Not so today – I am looking forward to getting back to my own poochies, the ones at the Humane Society, and of course, the ones I love (you know who you are!!)

The week in the Galapagos was magical, but not in the way I thought it would be. The islands are volcanic (young ones at that, in Earth-formation-time), and you would think that they would be all lava rock, speckled on the edges with bumpy black marine iguanas, blue-footed boobies and sea lions. But the slopes of the distinct volcanic cones are lush with cloud forests and ferns, and populated with all manner of wildlife.

No comments: