Monday, November 2, 2009

The Well of Recovery



On arriving at La Senda Verde, I wasn’t sure I wanted stay at all, much less 2 nights. It was hot. There were bugs. I was sick. Also, being a wildlife refuge first, guesthouse second made it not an ideal location for recovery. However, after a surprisingly deep 10 hours of sleep (despite the sounds of the jungle invading my thatched-roof cottage), I woke 75% recovered, and with a new perspective on things. I made friends with an Australian girl traveling basically the same route as me, and we did a little stream scramble up to a refreshing grotto, where I felt my recovery much advanced.

While I feel like I hadn’t signed up for such a rustic detour, I have to admit that I enjoyed the break from the arid heights of La Paz and the Altiplano. Damaged sinuses recovering. The refuge, a private facility, was full of animals and birds brought by SOS – the animal rescue agency of Bolivia, in addition to a great collection of dogs owned by volunteers and the proprietor.

No comments: