Tuesday, November 10, 2009

White City


Butter cookies of all shapes and sizes, multi-layer white cakes with swirls of whipped frosting and candied fruit, butter-laden biscuits, French rolls, candies. Bolivians sure love the sweets! I gain 5lbs just looking at all them in the market and the shop windows….

Sucre (La Ciudad Blanca de Las Americas) is a bustling, relatively modern city (and is the capitol of Bolivia), dating from 1538 when the Spanish established it as an administrative center for its colonies in Bolivia, Argentina and part of Peru. The buildings in Sucre are even more well preserved and orderly than Potosi, and the city was also declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1991. At a mere 9,000 feet above sea level, the weather is warm and dry – mid 70s – a welcome relief from the brisk to frigid air of the last 3 weeks.

I arrived via car from Potosi, driven by my guide for the day. Such a nice alternative to the bus, even for 160 kilometers! I wish I had a couple more days here to enjoy the weather, but Ecuador calls, so I am off to La Paz tomorrow and Quito the day after.

If anyone is reading this, feel free to leave me a comment!

2 comments:

Helena said...

Yes! we are all following! I had several posts to catch up on because I was busy. The landscapes look stunning - would be super inspiring! Enjoy Ecuador, no doubt you will experience some temperature extremes on your travels there.
H

Mish said...

I'm following too...just enjoying your posts. Bummer that the food isn't as "foodie" as you'd like but the scenery is pretty cool and about as different from SE Asia as one could get...well, except for the jungle!