Wednesday, April 13, 2011

History


My first full day in Tallinn, and the sun disappeared, leaving grey, freezing weather in its wake. I just couldn’t get any decent photos, sorry.

After a self-guided audio tour walking around the Old Town, I took in both the Tallinn City Museum and the Museum of Occupation, which was devoted to the history of Soviet and Nazi occupation from 1939 to 1991. The City Museum covered some of the same period, particularly Stalin’s reign. The combined information detailed the sad story of a young, free Estonia being swallowed, then oppressed, by a much mightier country. When I finally read about the “Singing Revolution” that bloodlessly ended the Soviet occupation, it brought tears to my eyes.
Tomorrow I have half a day in Tallin before taking a bus to Riga, Latvia, my last stop before flying back to Stockholm to catch my flight home.

No comments: