Saturday, April 9, 2011

Joo Joo Joo


It sounds like yo! yo! yo!, and means yes yes yes. It’s the one Finnish word I recognize, maybe because it is the same in Saami (the languages are closely related), and I heard Pere-Nils use it many times.

Today, amazingly, the sun came out. It came OUT! In less than 24 hours the city was transformed from grey, huddled masses hurrying to and fro from Stockmann’s (reportedly Europe’s largest department store), to sun worshippers basking in the 45 F sunshine (I noted at as of 4:30 pm today it was warmer in Helsinki than in San Diego – crazy!). Every sunny park bench and step was taken by stunned looking city dwellers soaking it up. Even the cafes put out chairs, and it seems that Helsinki is catching up with spring. Finally.

I haven’t visited Stockmann’s, despite being told that I should by various sources. I feel like it’s telling a foreign visitor to visit the Mall of America in Minneapolis – just to go because it’s the biggest (plus, they are having "crazy days" right now, which I take to mean a massive sale, and the place is packed). I did visit the massive Stockmann’s book store to supplement my guide books since I have added Latvia to my itinerary, and was impressed with the Alvar Aalto 1969 building, custom designed as a bookstore. It maximizes natural light with an inverted atrium extending up 3 floors, reflecting light off the white Carrara marble interior.

In fact, it’s the little shops in the Helsinki Design District that are the most interesting, as they showcase the superb Finnish design that was unknown to me before (although my sister the designer is a long-time fan).

No comments: