Thursday, April 7, 2011

To Market




I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the 120 year old market hall on the waterfront is still very much in use, with the original carved mahogany stalls in good shape, and most of the stalls open for lunch. I can only imagine how it is in the summer when the expansive concrete in front is lined with tables and stalls, as I saw in photos. It has become clear that I am missing the best of Helsinki by not being here in summer (I didn’t have that feeling in Stockholm). From the market to the esplanade to the 18th century island fortress of Soumenlinna, winter is an effective shut down. This hasn’t been helped by cold fog and rain for the last two days.

I have also been pleasantly surprised at how friendly and helpful the Finnish have been so far. From what I heard in Sweden I was expecting a cool reception (a la Bolivia), but have had quite the opposite experience. And I have enjoyed the food much more, especially the savory pastries (piirakka) and seafood options; food seems to be a bit more flavorful here.

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot more people smoke here than in Sweden. But not inside, which is a life/lung saver!


Above: Soumenlinna Fortress, constructed in 1748, shut down for the winter.

No comments: