Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cambodia Safe

I can’t believe I had any trepidation about coming to Cambodia; in planning, it was the one place that I felt uncomfortable coming by myself. But so far I have felt very safe and comfortable (unlike some other places I have been!)

Interestingly, U.S. dollars are used here in place of the local currency (the riel). Prices are quoted in dollars and the ATMs dispense only dollars. The only other place I have experienced this was in Peru.

Today I played Tomb Raider and visited the famous temple of Ta Phrom, which has large viney trees growing on top of temple walls and in between stone blocks. I heard that some scenes from Tomb Raider (the movie) were filmed there. I asked someone to take my photo at the famous spot, but it didn’t some out that great – I have more luck using my tripod and self-timer (all of the other photos of me in Cambodia so far are taken that way!)

Outside most of the temples, locals have set up tents and tables and offer lunch made in a one wok “kitchen”. They send their kids out to pull in the tourists exiting tuk-tuks and the temples. This is great option since there are no package tour groups, and it supports the locals. It is mostly basic rice and noodle dishes and the occasional amok fish (cooked in coconut milk and ginger). I have ben warily avoiding some of the local specialties, such as duck fetus, still in the shell.

I am in Siem Reap one more day, then I take a boat down the river to Battambang before heading to Phnom Penh. Stay tuned!

Right: I forgot my tripod for this one

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting blog! It is good travel writing, and inspirational: girl 'kicks out' and goes surfing in Southeast Asia!
Graham Moody
www.paralleluniversestory.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Did you hear about the two huge (7.4 and 7.6) earthquakes in Indo Saturday, a 5.1 in Japan Monday, a 6.1 in Costa Rica today and a 5.0 in San Bernadino tonight. The world is a rockin'! Watch those beaches. If the water starts receeding quickly run to high ground!!!!