Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Son


Besides shopping today (I couldn’t resist getting an outfit made to order and some silk slippers), I went out to My Son (50k away), billed as the most important Cham site in Vietnam. I have to say that it was a little disappointing, given what I have seen so recently in Cambodia. Unfortunately, the site was hit by a few bombs during the American war and several towers are beyond repair.

Tomorrow I head to Non Nuoc beach, just south of China Beach outside of Da Nang. This is the one spot that it may be possible to surf on my trip. There is a surf shop that reports that they expect it to be 3-5 feet, but who knows what that means here. I am not sure what my internet situation will be, since I will be at a pretty basic place. If you don’t hear from me for a few days, you will know that we are getting some swell (otherwise I will be moving on pretty quickly to Hue).

I vacillate between being pleased and being disappointed. An old woman in the market rips me off and then 2 friendly kids on bikes stop me just to practice their English (whispering to themselves, trying to get the phrases right). The incessant catcalls are countered by the graciousness of the shop owner/seamstress where I ordered my ao dai (traditional Vietnamese outfit of long tunic, slit up the side paired with long silk pants). I try to keep positive, but sometimes I feel down to think that I will always be cheated unless I am extra diligent and firm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your title had me going there for a moment! I thought maybe it was a cute way of talking about the locals until I read it.
Mom