Monday, January 5, 2009

The Whole Shoe

After a 11 hour journey from Ko Chang to Siem Reap (Cambodia), where I was crammed in a mini-bus with 7 Norwegians, 2 Russians and 2 Germans, we circled Siem Reap for an hour looking for my hotel, leading to much frustration on my tired part. Just when I was about to give up, I was handsomely rewarded with Pavillon D’Orient, a fine old French colonial mansion turned boutique hotel. So while I purchased and am using “Southeast Asia on a Shoestring” from Lonely Planet, this hotel is not shoestring, but the whole shoe – well, a whole pair at least! I ended up here because the hotel I wanted (one my friend Belinda stayed at last January) was booked and they referred me here.

Siem Reap is home to Angkor Wat, the 8th Wonder of the World, and the finest temple complex in all of Southeast Asia. This incredible place was one of the primary reasons I made this trip, and I plan to spend 5 or 6 days here to give it justice.

Yesterday, I said goodbye to the Hings, Ed and Kim. We had spent the day on a hike into the jungle interior of Ko Chang, which culminated in a freshwater plunge at the base of a small waterfall. Little 10 year old Julika showed all of the grownups how it was done, scrambling up the cliff after me and leaping off. Her father couldn’t be coaxed to do that same!

No comments: