Thursday, January 15, 2009

Saigon


The most popular place to visit in Saigon apparently is the War Remnants Museum, which details the "American War" through photographs and leftover weaponry. After seeing endless photographs of dead children, killed at the hands of American soldiers, I was feeling worse than after the visit to S-21, like I had been kicked in the gut. There were also numerous photos showing the long term effects of Agent Orange on the population, and injuries and deaths from landmines that still plague the country. I feel bad; I want to apologize to everyone for the war, for the actions of so many. I don't know how the Vietnamese people can welcome Americans to their country. But I guess they know that many of the American people outside of the government vehemently opposed the war. Displayed prominently was the report of the three different Americans who set themselves on fire in front of the White House in protest. I don't remember any of the war being part of my history curriculum in school. Why is that?

After a couple museums I was ready for some noodle soup and browsing the markets. I was happy to find myself on the other side of town in a market little frequented by tourists. However, I felt I was in the way, since everyone there was on a shopping mission, with lists and agendas. Most carried away their goods on their mopeds. The guy in the photo below has a light load compared to most!




Tomorrow I am off to Da Lat, a "mountain" hamlet north of Saigon. Can't say I am sad to leave.

No comments: