Friday, June 18, 2010

Cividale


From Udine I took the train for a ½ day side trip to Cividale, a little town that was first a Roman settlement (founded around 50 B.C.), then settled by the Lombards, and continuously occupied for around the last 2,000 years. There are some remnants of the various periods, the most striking being the castle, houses and other buildings built right on the gorge (see photo).

I had forgotten about Italian working hours….. Everything (except food and coffee places) closes at 12:30 or 1, and doesn’t reopen until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. This includes museums, shops, banks etc. At least coffee and gelato can be had. They are, in my opinion, the best value at 1 euro per shot of espresso or scoop of gelato.

Unfortunately, after less than a week of traveling, my back is wrenched. I have been going the budget route with hotels, and while it is not quite hostel heaven, the beds have been one step above cot.

No comments: