Sunday, June 13, 2010

Crossing the Continent


After full day of Prague yesterday, I am ready to move on. My target destination was Slovenia, but getting south to the other side of Austria proved to be a challenge. There were no buses, trains or flights to that country. Detour: Italy. Oh darn. It's only my favorite destination in the whole world. So today I have a very long day on a bus to Udine, in northeastern Italy, not too far from Venice (where I went with my sister in 2006). Two nights there, then on to Trieste, Italy, which is on the border of Slovenia. I don't think I will make it to Croatia after all - just not enough time.

The oppressive heat here in Prague finally broke last night with a downpour around 11 p.m. I was tucked away in bed, so I can only imagine the throngs on the streets running for cover. I had taken in "Aida" at the Prague State Opera, and was surprised to see how many people were out at 10:30 p.m. when the opera let out. The 2 previous nights I had been in bed by 9 p.m.!

No comments: