Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Say Goodbye



Yesterday was a glorious day in the Julian Alps. I joined an organized tour that took me and 7 others for a day around the alpine area of Slovenia, close to the Italian border, and over the highest mountain pass in the country. Luckily, the rain had stopped and the sun peaked through for our short hikes and explorations, including a hair-raising climb to the source of the Soca River (the main river in Slovenia).

At the end, we were presented with the option of jumping 40 feet off a bridge into the Soca River. I wasn’t going to jump, but one of the 22 year old American girls said to another “How many times in your life will you be standing on a bridge in Slovenia with the opportunity to jump?” and I thought to myself, well! I had better do it (despite my intense fear of heights). Nothing could prepare me for the shock of the cold water (41F) upon the somewhat brutal landing. A good portion went up my nose – I guess that’s why people were holding their noses!

I can’t say enough good things about Slovenia! GREEN, modern, multi-lingual (in school they learn Slovene, English, German and Serbo-Croatian!), friendly, sport-loving, historic..... And everyone seems to have a vegetable garden!
I head home tomorrow, feeling very happy to have had a chance to experience Slovenia.

No comments: