Saturday, June 19, 2010

Rain



It started last night with a lightning storm like I have never seen before. Then thunder and rain all night. And more rain today off and on and then tonight – rivers of water flowing down the cobbled streets! I guess this is why June isn’t considered the high season here!

Today, in the middle of the rain, I took a ferry to Rivanj, Croatia, just 1 ½ hours down the coast. It was described by the Lonely Planet as the star of the Istrian coast, but I failed to see it. What I saw was a town geared towards tourists, and full of tourists, and it isn’t even high season. The stretch of coastline is beautiful. There are no sandy beaches, just rocky ledges, adapted into bathing areas but the water is clear and warm, and I can see how it is popular with the sunbathing and party crowd.

Tomorrow I head up to Ljubljana, the capitol of Slovenia, for a day and then on to Bled in the Julian Alps. I am a bit sad to leave the sea, but I will back to my own cold grey Pacific in a few days!

No comments: