Friday, June 18, 2010

Piran - Pirano, Slovenia


Best day yet! A short ferry ride from congested and dirty Trieste (I saw more cigarette butts in that city than any other place I have traveled) took me across to Istria, an area of the Adriatic coast that includes parts of Slovenia and Croatia. I landed in Pirano, a fairy tale town on a small, hilly peninsula. It is warm, breezy, and dry, blessed by mild ocean breezes (not the stagnant humidity of Trieste - which is only 45 km away!) I enjoyed the brilliant sun, and a swim in the Adriatic sea, with Roman ruins visible under the clear water.

Later, I watched the USA vs. Slovenia in the World Cup at one of the many cafes in the main square. Luckily some other Americans were there to cheer with me when the Americans made a comeback from 0-2 to tie.

My hotel is a small B&B in the old town – well, it’s all old town. The town was developed out to the sea on 3 sides by the 15th century, and it remains to this day, with some renovations, of course. The hotel is utterly charming, as is the whole town. Relaxed, quiet, charming. I am content

No comments: