Friday, June 18, 2010

More of the Fallen Roman Empire


I am getting a good feel for the transportation system in northeastern Italy! Today I took the train and the bus to an important Roman site, the oldest in this part of Italy, approximately halfway to Venice along the cuff of the boot. Aquileia was the ninth city founded by the Romans (founded around 150 B.C.), and was at one time one of the most important in the empire. Now there are just the ruins, and the medieval buildings constructed from the blocks of the ruins, but the most impressive parts are the mosaics left behind from the 4th century (see photo). There were even a few from the 1st century that had been uncovered. There is still a small town there - another site which was been occupied continuously for 2,000 years.

After that I spent a frustrating afternoon trying to find a place to do some laundry. I asked my hotel, and the tourist office, and a local dry cleaner. I got sent off in all directions, walking for miles around the city, never finding a laundromat.

No laundromats, no wi-fi. I was told the only wi-fi available was in the lobby of the Continentale Hotel – order an overpriced coffee and you can use it. I think I will wait until I move on.

Next up, Piran/Pirano in Slovenia.

No comments: