Friday, June 18, 2010

Trieste or Trst


Next stop, Trieste. I took the train southwest from Udine to Trieste, a large-ish port city to the southwest. It is right on the border of Slovenia, and has a much more Central European feel than other Italian cities that I have visited. Part of this is due to it being part of Austria from 1482 until 1918, serving as Austria’s one and only seaport. The Hapsburgs of Austria created the current layout in the 18th century and it retains that imperial feel. Of course there are Roman ruins scattered throughout.

My tiny 6 room hotel was located in the medieval quarter of 500 year old buildings that have been renovated over and over again. Think tiny winding alleys too narrow for cars or even carriages (see photo above). Unfortunately, I had the cubby room under the stairs, with one small window for air, but not much light. Needless to say, I didn't spend much time there.

It’s been hot. Hot. Punctuated by thunderstorms and pouring rain. I don’t mind the rain – it usually passes quickly and cools things a little.

No comments: